do what makes you happy. be with who makes you smile. laugh as much as you breathe. love as long as you live.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Better Late Than Never?

Okay, I'm awful at this whole blogging thing. I can't even count how many times in the past 6 months or so I've thought: "Wow, Kailin you should really update your blog! Lots has happened in your life you know!" And yet, here I am, the end of May, just now getting around to documenting my most recent excursions. So here we go, a wise person once said to start at the beginning, so I shall...

I got home from Russia on Dec. 22nd around 12:45 in the morning. Our flight out of Chicago had been delayed for hours and we sat in the plane on the tarmac forever just exhausted and wanting nothing more than to finally be home. My homecoming was awesome, I practically sprinted from the gate to baggage claim. Lots of people had just arrived so my family didn't even see me racing towards them until I was hugging my mom. My wonderful co-workers showed up too! With a sweet banner, balloons, and some gorgeous flowers for me. Thank you so much guys, I'll never forget that. :) Being home was wonderful, but as expected, about 2 days here I began bawling because I missed Russia so much. Heck, I STILL miss it so much! I take every opportunity I can to reminisce on the great times I had there and to look through all my pictures. I don't regret one second of that trip, the absolute best thing I ever did in my life and I can't wait for the day I can go back to visit.

So surprise: Remember the man I taught with in Russia? The one laughing hysterically at me with the "North Pole" incident? From now on, he will be referred to as: Fiance! Yes, your eyes did just read that. Fiance and I became the best of friends while in Russia. We've got the same sense of humor and would sit and laugh with each other for hours on end. Other people in the groups couldn't even keep up with us and ended up slowly backing away from us as we giggled insanely next to each other. After 3 months of that, Fiance got up the courage and kissed me as we rode the elevator up from our daily metro ride. I was completely caught off guard, but in the best way possible. The only way I can describe that first kiss is this: an overwhelming feeling deep in my heart of: Finally. As in finally, this is what I've been waiting for. As in, something clicked and I knew I'd never kiss another man in my life besides this one. As in, I had found my best friend that I wanted to share my life with.
At this point in the trip, Fiance was getting set up with a fantastic job in Silicon Valley. I was supportive and excited for him, all the while wondering how I was going to handle this when he left to CA and I was stuck in UT still! As the time came closer for our departure back to the states, we began talking more seriously about what we saw in our futures and what we wanted in our lives. I knew then, again, that I was going to marry him. No doubt in my mind. So, 10 days after returning to the states, Fiance proposed, I said yes, and a date was set for June 24th! Allow me to immortalize our story here, it's worth it:

Fiance flew back to Utah after spending Christmas with family in Texas. I was so excited to see him the day he flew in and it was killing me to not know where he was (he still didn't have his cell phone back at this time). Finally he met me at work after a long day and we went to dinner with some of my extended family. This is where my family told me he was a wonderful man and they were happy for me that he was in my life, as if I didn't know this? But it was still nice to hear :) That night after dinner we talked more about the marriage and finally came to the conclusion that yes, that is what we wanted, not only that, but we wanted a Temple Marriage, so we could be sealed to each other for time and all eternity.
The next night was New Year's Eve and Fiance came to my family's home to celebrate with us by eating delicious homemade egg rolls, (are you catching the theme here of my life? I really like food, all of it). I had also met some of his extended family that night. We passed some time together watching the marvelous movie: Fivel Goes West, and then decided to try and find any fun activities happening at midnight. Nothing was going on, so we decided to just go looking for a clock tower to watch midnight strike instead. No such luck, no clock tower and it was freezing cold anyway- Strike 1. Then we decided to go back to Fiance's family's house and watch the ball drop in NYC on the television. Unfortunately his relatives don't believe in cable, sooo.... Strike 2. Finally we just set our phone alarms for midnight. Fiance was being adorable and making me fall in love with him even more. When the alarms went off, we wished each other a Happy New Year and shared a midnight kiss. Fiance then told me to go turn off the phone alarms, which I thought was silly, why didn't he turn off his own? But I walked over to do so anyway. As I was doing that, me thoughts I heard the sound of a ring box, my heart skipped a couple beats. When I turned around, Fiance was standing there smiling at me. He walked over to me, got down on one knee and lovingly asked me to be his wife. To which I of course responded a resounding YES! Needless to say, the most wonderful night of my life, I can't wait to marry this man, he's the best thing that has ever happened to me, my best friend, and the love of my life. I couldn't ask for more!

So that's that! I began planning this wedding while trying to balance a full coarse load at school, and work close to full time as manager of the swim store. It's been crazy stressful, especially because Fiance got his job in Silicon Valley and I had to continue school in Utah for a semester. So we've been separated our entire engagement, planning our wedding from afar, and seeing each other once or twice a month, plus nightly Skype sessions. Needless to say, I'm so over this whole engagement and wedding planning thing. Let's get this show on the road!!! 25 Days!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment